Tuesday, June 18, 2013

On Not Slowing Down….

One of momma's creations as a single woman. I have often wondered how she came up with these patterns and what on earth did she wear under it. I am blessed to have inherited it when she moved. As a child I played with it often (pretended it was a fishing net and never thought to put it on). 
One of the many bags my mother made from me out of plarn. The bags were part of our city's recycling movement. The program was canceled and we were left with tons of blue bags. Mom made them into plarn and made this large tote for me. It keeps cold foods cold and hot foods hot!

Sweet Mother of Abraham Lincoln! What has time been doing to me?! Here we are just days from Summer and I have not been keeping my promise of slowing down. Instead the schedules of life and the joy killer have been keeping me busy. I do snap thousands of pictures. They live in my SD card and I don't take the time to slow down, print and enjoy them. I cut out thousands of recipes and I never take the time to read through and make them. I gather magazines but never peruse the pages. I bookmark many blogs or add them to the little glasses icon thingy on my mac, but I never go back. And be still my heart, I have not been creating (or does weeding the garden count as being creative?)

As a means of resolving this problem I am taking Fridays off during the Summer. I WILL create, crochet, make unhealthy sweet treats, let them stay up late, go to the movies, go on dates with the hubster, explore my world, read and for once in my life be unscheduled (atleast I am scheduling this for Fridays). Yes, I plan to make memories!

I will also dream of visiting my parents this September. Because my family deserves a little vacation and because I miss my mom and dad terribly, this visit is a must. Ok... Ok… its a secret mission to convince my parents to move back to the lovely midwest.  I will do my best to convince them that moving back to live in the midwest is the best thing that they can do. Afterall, why would they want to live near a beach in a tropical paradise, eating organic homegrown, surrounded by a garden that blooms year round and speaking their primary language, when they can be here with me breathing toxic air and worrying about utility rates during the gray and cold winter months?!

I do miss my parents though….. and I wish , oh how I wish, I had spent more time with them before they retired to the island.  Because nothing reminds me more of God's love than family. Nothing rejuvenates me more than hearing the roaring laughter of family around one of mom's awesome dinners. Nothing makes me question God more too than my parents (LOL) and this in itself has caused me to continuously be in conversation with God. 
Gabli










2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, dear Gabli! I shall see my parents this weekend and I DO wish they lived in Colorado, but they do not. Sad.
    I know how it feels to miss family.
    I hope you do take Fridays and live it up! When I am busy teaching school, I can think of a million things I'd like to do at home. When I am home, I get a tiny bit befuddled looking at all the possibilities!
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am the same way! I think of all of the wonderful things I should be doing while I am at work but then end up cleaning toilets instead when I get home. Thank God for Fridays!

      Delete

Leave a comment and be polite please and thank you.