Saturday, November 10, 2012

Practicing Thanksgiving...



Practicing Thanksgiving day desserts. I made this crumbled apple something…. whatever it was, it was delicious. I need to figure out how to take better pics in the evenings. 
The hubster is working over time. My partner in crime is greatly missed. But, I have no excuse as to why I shouldn't get the "chors" list done. Its raining and the kids want to have a snuggle day (Snuggle Day: wake up late, stay in pj's as long as you can, read, play, eat, watch movies, bake: snuggle- also known as a lazy day). I find it refreshing after a week of long drives, appointments, after school activities and busy schedules that they want to stay in today and relax. 
I take advantage of their business and pick up the house. How do we get it so messy in one week?!! It relaxes me to clean, to organize, to make the house sparkle. Its also when I do my best thinking. My thoughts are simple. Give thanks to the One who makes it all possible and ask myself what am grateful for. I started to make a mental list but it quickly got filled with "things" after the usual thanks for family and friends. This bothered me. It bothered me a ton. I have never been materialistic so I shouldn't be thankful for flowers, yarn and other "things". I want my list to be full of the unseen things that make days easier. So here goes. Twelve things I am thankful for outside of the loves of my life (my family):
  1. God's mercy with me
  2. my home and I don't mean house but a home where we belong
  3. my daughter's imagination, intuition & sense of humor that transcends her age 
  4. the way rain makes me feel relaxed
  5. my son's gentle touch when his sister gets hurt
  6. my mother's letters that crack me up
  7. my son's contagious smile
  8. my family's acceptance of each other
  9. how my husband supports my hobbies and actively participates - even if he doesn't care much for them, he acts like he does ;)
  10. 9pm when the house is quiet, clean, candles are burning and kids are asleep, and I get mommy time
 I have always been thankful, but now realize that I was thankful for things. This is ok too. But,  I need to be thankful for the unseen because it is the unseen that makes me happiest. And, so this is what I will be practicing this weekend as I clean, scrub and literally breath in way too many cleaning fumes…cough…cough.

Gabli

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Gabli! God loves a thankful heart.
    I love the idea of snuggle days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! I have enjoyed seeing people's thankful posts on facebook and blogs. I think intentionally being thankful, can become a habit--and that is a wonderful thing that more of us need to do! (I also think it's ok to be thankful for yarn--I think God has given you a crochet gift and is happy to see you filled with joy when you are crocheting)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and be polite please and thank you.