Sunday, September 16, 2012

Who needs an apple cozy?

Finally had a chance to sit down and work on a blog button. Apparently I am not a very good blogger if I don't have one of these:


I must thank my awesome nephew J.R. - a handsome senior in college- for the design. He knows I have a passion for owls and crochet. Can you tell the owl is holding a crochet needle. Its a perfect logo for me… the night time crocheter. 

Changing the subject…
On etsy I have seen tons of apple cozy's, mug cozy's, etc. I have stayed away from these because I think its  going a bit overboard with crochet. It reminds me of my grandmothers house. Not being a doll girl (I was and still tend to be a tomboy), I got creeped out every time I went into her bathroom. Sitting by her avocado colored porcelain throne was an old 1950's Barbie or look alike, with over the top dark eye makeup and jet black frizzy hair. While her hair was uncombed, she did sport a wonderful crochet dress. Under her dress, a roll of toilet paper held her up. Her arms were always outstretched as if asking to be picked up. She spooked me because she always poked me in the back. Well, maybe she didn't poke me as much as me forgetting that she was there. Her dress changed with the seasons. She had a Fourth of July dress, an orange dress for fall and a bright red and green one for Christmas. A search online leads me to believe that people still use these things to hide toilet paper. Hey, its TP, we all use it. We all know what its for. Its ok to leave it out. No one will think you are weird if you keep an extra roll near the toilet bowl. No need to pretty it up… we know what it is.  I think of apple and mug cozies as those over the top crochet items that really need not be. I mean, really, why does your apple need a little cozy? Is it too cold? Is a bruise here and there a bad thing for your apple?

Well let me tell you! I always pack an apple for work- I mean literally I eat one everyday. I was in a rush so I threw it in with my laptop as I have done many a times before. On my morning drive to work, what should happen but a sudden stop by a not- so - great- I- must - pray -for driver. I was far enough that I did not end up in his front seat, but my work bag did end up on the floor. When I got to work I had the pleasure of dealing with one sticky bag and laptop. The apple was partly crushed leaving behind its sweet juices on my stuff. I thank God that it was not me and just the apple, which I still ate of course (not the icky parts). This little incident prompted me to make a little coat for my apple. It was not until later that I figured out I had just made an apple cozy. Aha! So that's why they are so popular on etsy. They are very easy to make as well. Now my apples won't get as bruised as before and if they hit the floor, they have their very own in voyage protection.  Maybe I need to give scary toilet paper dolls a chance… who knows they may be protecting that toilet roll from something. 

On that note, thank you God for protecting this mommy and her family; for protecting us when we are well aware of the dangers that could have been and when we are unaware of those dangers that can be. Thank you for sending your angels to watch over us .
Psalms 91: 11- 13
"No evil shall befall you,
Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling;For He shall give His angels charge over you,To keep you in all your ways. In their hands they shall bear you up"
Gabli




http://www.seven-alive.com/

3 comments:

  1. That is so cute... And I'm so glad that you are safe .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabli!
    I like your blog button!
    I made an apple cozy and it turned out so big it became a watermelon cozy! A friend sent me a perfect one and I put it on a marble apple I have on my desk at school. The students think it's fascinating!
    Your apple cozy turned out great!
    I'm so glad you are okay! PTL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE, LOVE the apple cozy!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for partying with us at Link It Up Thursday.:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and be polite please and thank you.