Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pattern: Half Granny Square Head Hanky

Ever say to yourself  "I will sit and crochet for 20 minutes and then I will go on to do what I have to do". Well that never really happens. At least not around here. I usually say that I will crochet for 20 minutes or so and then move on and usually I find myself picking up shoes here, dusting that there, putting the check book back, fixing that toy, taking out the trash, emptying the dishwasher, organizing their rooms and before I know it that cleaning up has stolen an hour of my slowing down time. But at least the place stays somewhat clean.
So when do I crochet? While I wait for the school bell, at the doctors, at 6 am after morning yoga, while the football game is on, etc. Usually there is something else going on. I never crochet just to sit and crochet.  It does amaze me when I actually complete a project. I've been working on the following for the past few days b/c I can see the fruits of my labor rather quickly.  I  completed a pattern for it and I pray that it makes sense. Its a head hanky as I call it.  Please let me know if this works for you or if there is an error. I am not a pattern writer (for sure). Many of you know that I just make things up as I go and never follow a pattern. But this one is pretty easy and a dear pal gave me one as a gift and by looking at it, I think I figured it out.

Half Granny Square Head Hanky:
use the right size hook for your yarn and decide for yourself how big you want 
Abbreviations in US terms
sl st: slip stitch
ch: chain
dc: double crochet
sc: single crochet
st: stitch

Note: your are adding a 3dc group to the last post or the last dc of a 3dc group- don't dc into the last space b/c it will give you a confusing gap. You must dc into the top of the post.  

-ch3 and join with a sl st to the first ch to form a circle (or make a magic circle whichever you prefer)
-ch 3 (counts as first double crochet) in the circle
-2 dc in the circle
-ch 2  and 3 dc in the circle
-ch 3 (counts as first dc of the second round) turn
- 2 dc in the same stitch as the ch 3
- 3 dc in the ch2 space, ch2 and 3dc in the same space (the ch2 space)
- 3 dc in the last dc of the first 3dc group, ch 3 and turn
-continue with 2 dc in the same ch 3 space, 3 dc in the next space between the two 3dc groups and always add 2ch in the middle area when you get to the previous ch 2 space until you reach the desired size.
- finishing:
 add one chain at each end of the long side or add three chains braided as one
you can finish the edge with a sc around the border or sc along the two short sides and ch3 to form little loops around the long side (sc in one space, ch2, sc in the 2nd space until the end of the longer side)


There are some variations of this idea in several websites. Some add a ch1 in between the 3dc clusters or do ch3 instead of 2 in the middle. Work with whatever works with you and your yarn.



Can you tell that I am not very good at taking pics?! I need to learn how to use the camera to adjust for light, etc. 


I ran out of yarn for these, but used a similar color for a nice touch to the end. These are perfect for fall!


 Hoping you have 20 minutes a day to do what you want and feel refreshed after you do. 
Gabli

2 comments:

  1. Very cute.....it will look very good with a fall outfit! Very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gabli!
    Very cute! It's nice to see you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and be polite please and thank you.