Sunday, January 22, 2012

Color

Our first winter snow was rather light; So light that within a couple of days we hit 47 degrees and the snow began to melt. Anything above 35 degrees is spring like around here and so we thought that this winter would not be a repeat of last years. Last year we had blizzard.  For a short person like me and all sorts of little creatures, blizzards can be a menace. I could not get out my front door and our shed was partially buried for a couple of weeks.

Once more we are blanketed in some 7 inches of white. What is it about snow that makes everything so calm, clean, slow, sleepy and cozy?  It took the hubster nearly 4 hours to get home from work this Friday but he didn't seem bothered by it. The big chunks of snowflakes calmly falling from the sky helped him pass the time.  We went to the big busy city this weekend for a family event and even there life seemed to slow down; the streets were empty, no whistling sounds from the big trailers and city buses, no people hailing cabs, and none of those other city noises. All was calm.


We stayed in our pj's all day today (Sunday) and had breakfast for lunch. In stark contrast to the outside world, color abounds in my home thanks to the little ones at play.  I love A's imagination and her little fairy world near the vent in her room. Those little dogs below are guarding something special behind that green gate...



They are the guardians of the sleeping princess. She is about 1 inch tall!

My daughter has always been capable of bringing joy and color to my world. While I have been busy for the past couple of years fighting off color and trying my best to transform our home into a neutral colors home, she has been busy doing the opposite in her room. I have to admit that on some occasions her room feels like a sensory overload to me. Yet, more often than not, it is a thing of joy. Her fairy scenes scattered about make me smile. Her bright curtains glow with the sunshine and her bed covers are not only super soft as she demands, they are cute too. She is a brave one. She is not afraid of color.  And, as she decorates her room, she decorates her body. I love this stage in her life and I hope she never changes her bravado for color. I wonder if she gets this from her grandmother and her love of color?  I guess for the most part, islanders are not afraid of color. A's room reminds me of my roots. 
G is simpler: dinos, cars, trains, orange, red and blue. 

So the hubster and I have bought G about 15 of those small cars. The rest have been hand me downs and gifts from our awesome friends and family members. We counted over 120 cars (not counting the 15 or so in my car and hubsters car, the other 10 in the family room, the other 5 under the sofas and the ones he keeps at my work for emergency play). 
How could we not know he had so many little cars? (larger cars are another story!)
 I also came to the realization that he has not one, not two, not three, not four, but 5 train sets. I wish they would somehow all connect but they are different brands. Again, we bought one $12 train set and 
have been blessed by hand-me downs and gifts! 
 This makes me wonder how many dinosaurs this kid has… I will leave that for another snowy hibernation weekend. 

What a wonderful world of color we have been given. 
Thank you God for allowing me to live in a home where color is as plenty as love. And, where two little angels remind me that not everything has to be perfect, not everything has to be neutral and that color adds imagination and spice to my life, 
Gabli


What a Wonderful World:
I see trees of green,red roses too.
I see them bloom for me and you.
and I say to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white.
The bright sunny days,the dark sacred nights,
and I say to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow are so pretty in the sky.
Are also on the faces of people walking by.
I see friends shaking hands sayin' "how do you do?".
They're really saying "I love you".

I see babies cry,I watch them grow,
they'll learn much more than I'll ever know.
And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

Yes I think to myself what a wonderful world.
And I think to myself what a wonderful world. 


written by Bob Thiele (as George Douglas) and George David Weiss
First recorded by Louis Armstrong in 1968.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and be polite please and thank you.